Thursday, December 6, 2012

The Birth Story

Every child's birth is different. My first child, my daughter, had a relatively easy birth. I had to go on bed rest for about 3 weeks, but once she was ready, she was ready and it went very smoothly. My second, my son, was not as easy. His birth story is one of the reasons I am counting my blessings today.

The labor lasted about 22 hours before the doctor realized that he was not going to be born the "natural way". During this 22 hours, the contractions were pretty painful, the epidural caused me to puke my guts out, and my blood pressure dropped so low I almost crashed. Ultimately, we discovered that his umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck, and this was why his heart rate dropped every time I would have a strong contraction. He had to be delivered via c-section.

Why do I tell this story? Having such a struggle with my son's birth has helped me see just what a blessing he is and what a blessing my life is as well. I very well could have lost my own life if it had not been for excellent nurses. My son very well could have lost his life if the nurses and doctors had missed the signs of distress. It's tough taking care of a newborn. You lose a lot of sleep and feel pretty isolated, but the blessing of having him here, knowing what could have happened, makes it all worthwhile.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Risa, for sharing this story. I didn't realize what a close call it was for both you and your baby boy. We praise God with you that it all worked out so great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I ran across your blog link on Fb (liv laugh love).

    You birth story sounds so scary! But I'm glad everything worked out well and your son is healthy! How old is he? I have a 3.5 month old daughter. I blog about her and my three other kids at www.marieoliveira.com. (My Name is Mommy)

    I'll also check out your FB page.

    ReplyDelete