Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Asbestos Awareness Week - Heather's Story

I was recently contacted by a reader of my blog about a cause near and dear to her heart. I am taking the opportunity to share her story with my readers to help build awareness about a problem that is still prevalent in our country.

Here is Heather's Story:

At age 36, I was diagnosed with mesothelioma just 3 ½ months
after my first and only child, Lily, was born. I was given just 15
months to live unless I underwent a drastic surgery to remove my left
lung. Miraculously, I beat the odds and I’m still here eight years later.

Asbestos is not banned in the US, yet it’s the only known cause of
mesothelioma. I was exposed to asbestos through my fathers work jacket
when I was just a little girl; my diagnosis came about 30 years later.
Once diagnosed, most patients die within 2 years. I am one of few
survivors who openly share their story and work to spread awareness
regarding the dangers of asbestos.

In honor of upcoming Asbestos Awareness Week (April 1-7), Heather has created
a webpage dedicated to raising awareness. She has asked me to
share it on my blog to help educate and protect my
readers from this preventable disease!

Here’s the link to Heather's awareness page: mesothelioma.com/heather/awareness

No comments:

Post a Comment