Monday, July 22, 2013

Then and Now - Family TV Shows

The television shows out there today are not near as good as they were when we were children. Or let me modify that statement. The television shows for KIDS are not as near as good as they were when we were kids. Unless of course you look at PBS. PBS still has some great kids programming. But let's take a look at THEN versus NOW...kid's TV shows.

THEN:
CLARISSA EXPLAINS IT ALL

Image credit: www.babble.com

NOW:
THE CARRIE DIARIES

Image credit: www.songonlyrics.com

Clarissa was a fairly innocent junior high/highschool girl, learning about life. Carrie will later on go on to write about Sex in the City. Which one do you want your daughter to learn from?

THEN:
MY LITTLE PONIES

Image credit: sharetv.org

NOW:
MY LITTLE PONIES

Image credit: multiplayerblog.mtv.com

I happen to think that the new My Little Ponies are kind of cute and the show is not near as cheesy as the old one, but some think that the ponies being "slimmed down" is a sign of our society putting so much stress on the pretty. I think both styles of ponies were pretty and I think the new ones are just more "Anime" looking because that's the in style thing these days.

THEN:
FULL HOUSE

Image credit: www.fanpop.com

NOW:
MODERN FAMILY

Image credit: ABC.com

I won't get too far into the reasons I really don't like this show, but for a show that is about a family, I don't think it is really a show you should watch with your family. Maybe your husband or wife, but not the kiddos! Not like you could with Full House, Family Matters, Step By Step, or any of those great TGIF shows from way back!

You are free to form your own opinions. These are just a few of the differences, and I definitely think that THEN was better than NOW!

5 comments:

  1. I loved full house! Last week I stumbled upon a blooper reel on YouTube..it was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't watched that show in years but I remember watching it every week and syndicated!

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh, I love Clarissa Explains it All, Full House, Step by Step, Family Matters, Growing Pains, My Little Ponies (both the old and new). I totally agree. You go to ABC Family -- the new kind of family -- they call it. No way are any of my kids watching any of those shows. Bleh! They don't make shows like they used to, that's for sure. All the parents and adults are ridiculous and disrespected. I do like Phineas and Ferb, I think they do a pretty good job with that show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right about the way the kids act! And people wonder why kids don't treat adults with respect anymore. They just copy what they see, and that's what they see on TV!

      Delete
  3. I loved Clarissa Explains it All! However, I do love Modern Family. I agree that you probably shouldn't watch it with little kids, but I don't think they actually market it as something you should watch with your kids anyway...

    ReplyDelete