Thursday, February 13, 2014

The Perks and Pitfalls of Being a Stay-At-Home Mom

The Perks and Pitfalls of Being a Stay-At-Home Mom

I've done this before...sort of...
I've been on maternity leave twice, but it wasn't the same. I knew I was going to go back to work outside of the home eventually.
I was also out of a job for about 6 months around the time my daughter was 18 months old. That wasn't the same either. I was looking for a job and fully intended on going back to work outside the home soon.
This time, it's different. We have been blessed and I am able to stay at home with my two sons while my husband works outside the home. In the six weeks since I had my son and the couple of weeks since my husband has been working, I've learned that there are perks and pitfalls to being a Stay-At-Home Mom.



Perk: I get to spend a lot of time with my sons! It's great to watch them grow and take care of them.

Pitfall: They demand a lot of attention. I get very little “me” time. I'm lucky if I get a shower while my husband's not home. (I got one today! Yes!) Sometimes I'm able to sneak in a nap while they are napping, but that means that I don't get things done around the house. I also get very little time with adults.

Perk: I get to breast feed my son. No pumping!

Pitfall: Since I breast feed my son, I get up with him all night. No rest for the weary.

Perk: I get to sit around in my pajamas all day.

Pitfall: This makes me feel like a slob. I have no excuse really to put on regular clothes. Sometimes, I even forget to brush my teeth in the morning.

Perk: I will have more time to work on my classes for my Master's degree.

Pitfall: Working on my classes will take away another sliver of my “me” time.

So, as you can see, there are pros and cons to being a stay-at-home mom. It's an adjustment period for me. I've worked outside the home since I was 16 years old, with only a 6 month break when I lost my job and was looking for a new one. That's 16 years of working outside the home. I've only been a stay-at-home mom for about 2 and a half weeks. One thing's for sure. I can't wait for Spring! I need to get out of this house every once in a while!