Saturday, May 4, 2013

Review: The Christian Parenting Handbook by Dr. Scott Taransky and Joanne Miller


I recently read The Christian Parenting Handbook by Dr. Scott Turansky and Joanne Miller. Turansky and Miller are the founders of the National Center for Biblical Parenting and it shows! The strategies in this book are what they call "heart-based" strategies which basically means that the children will be changing not only their behavior but their hearts. I want this for my children. I do not want them following simply out of obedience, but also because it is the right thing to do. I don't seem to get a lot of resistance from my daughter, but I do get some whining so I love the chapter entitled "Teach Kids to Be Solvers Instead of Whiners". I like how the chapters are structured. They are short and to the point. They often have biblical verses to back them up and include some real-life examples. The real work is left to the parents, but these are some great jumping-off points when a parent may be at a loss for what to do. I would recommend this book to any parent who is struggling to parent their child based on biblical principles or just doesn't know where to start.

I think I'm through reviewing parenting books for a while. It's frankly getting a little repetitive so look for something new on my next book review!

I receive these books free from Thomas Nelson Publishers as part of their BookSneeze.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

No comments:

Post a Comment