Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Book Review: The Christian Mama's Guide to the Grade School Years: Everything You Need to Know to Survive (and Love) Sending Your Kid Off into the Big Wide World by Erin MacPherson




I was so excited to get to read a book by a blogger! I became even more excited when I found Erin's blog and Facebook page, sent her a message, and got a response back! It's so fun to connect in the blog community and I'm so proud that there are bloggers out there that are able to take it that extra step and have books published, especially when they are about topis so near and dear to my heart.

Those of you who have been following me know that I have a 6 year-old daughter and a 5 month old son. I debated about reading Erin's book The Christian Mama's Guide to Baby's First Year, but having been through these times once already I thought that I may read one on a topic that I am not as familiar with - that is the topic of sending your kid off to the big wide world of school. My daughter has been in school for almost 2 years already, and I wish I had known or thought about some of these things way back then. Erin MacPherson does a great job of interweaving humor, personal anecdotes, and practical advice into this book about a time of life that is very difficult for most moms. MacPherson's book includes chapters on preparing your child socially, academically, and emotionally for school, choosing the right school (homeschool, private school, public school, etc.), and getting involved (or not getting involved) in extracurricular activities. None of us knows everything about getting our kids ready to go out into that big world, but this Christian Mama's Guide gives us the tools to get thinking about what our kids need to at least be somewhat ready and what we can do to prepare ourselves to let go. I look forward to reading more of Erin's blog and developing a blogging relationship with her as I have so many other bloggers out there! Thanks for writing such a helpful book for all of us Christian mamas out there!


I receive these books free from Thomas Nelson Publishers as part of their BookSneeze.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

2 comments:

  1. Great review. It is so easy for us Mommas to second guess ourselves about everything. This book sounds like having your best girlfriend sitting next to you and telling you everything will be OK. I look forward to reading more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete